Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Listen to Your Mother...At Least Listen to Mine!

I have a decluttering post before/after to put up from last weekend, but right now I'm in the middle of cleaning my room. It's so bad that I'm not putting up pictures! I needed some motivation, and I got that in the form of three-year-old Princess. She came into my room, looked at the mess and stated: "Mama, I'll help you clean your room."

She has been a big help. It's so nice to have little feet to run and put things away for you.

While taking a break, I remembered something my mom said that I want to share with you. I was talking to her last night, and she gave me some advice that I think is profound for those of us who struggle with messiness. We were talking about floors that need to be swept and mopped like my kitchen floor currently does. She said (and I'm paraphrasing here):

"Having a dirty floor isn't the problem. When it's bad is when you don't notice the dirty floor because there's stuff all over it! If you notice the floor, you're doing pretty well."

How right she is. Mom, thanks for making me feel better.

Right now I have the energy to clean my room, and that is my cleaning priority today, along with washing towels and sheets. The dishwasher is running. I can sweep the kitchen later. I can assign one of the children to mop it.

Sometimes we have to adjust our priorities to fit what works for us daily, instead of adhering to what someone else thinks we should do. That's how I'm slowly getting all this done.

I have another one and a half big black trash bags ready for the thrift store! Go, me!

My other priority today is to take some time to lie down to rest, and read to Princess. She has this book of princess stories that she loves, and it's been a while. Lion and Professor are bound to sneak in as well.

Time to make lunch and get back to work!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm totally down with dealing with working on one project at at time. At least something gets done and then I don't feel like such a crap-wife. =]

Make sure you get in that rest time, preggo princess. =]

Unknown said...

thats how i did one project at a time.

but my kitchen floor is the problem i always have...
it is always dirty. no matter how often i clean it.
i don't know why. with only 3 of us and all being adults you would think it would stay clean..

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I am so, so proud of you!

Heidi Meadows said...

I love this blog! Thanks for the little gems of wisdom. I was starting to think that I was the only one who had trouble with this, and now I know that I'm not, and that there is hope for me! Love you!